Thursday 3 April 2014

Nail Care Routine

I mostly paint my own nails but occasionally when I feel that my nails require extra TLC, I’ll scoot on over to my favourite nail parlour to get a professional manicure.

But there are instances when I have the time for a full DIY manicure in the comfort of my own home so here are the tools and steps that I like to follow.


Remove Old Polish
I have been using the Maybelline remover which is a huge time-saver. Just a couple of swirls and the polish comes right off!


Trim Nails
The nail clipper I use has a straight edge across which I prefer over the curved ones. 


Filling
The shape that I gravitate towards is square but with slightly rounded sides or as my manicurist calls it a ‘square-oval’. I try to file the nails in one direction rather than a back and forth motion as this will weaken the nails.


Water & Hand Towel
After filling, I’ll dip my nails in a bowl of lukewarm water. Around 1 -2 minutes is sufficient. Also, I keep a towel on hand to dry my fingernails and prep for the next step.


Cuticle Remover
This Sally Hansen gel cuticle remover does the trick; I just apply a thin layer at the base of my nails and leave it there for another minute or so for the product to work.



Cuticle Stick / Metal Pusher
These two items are great for pushing back the cuticles but remember to do it gently. After this, I remove the cuticle gel and any gunk in the bowl of water.


Cuticle Nipper
This is great for removing hang nails, dry bits of skin or any offending cuticle that wasn't removed from the previous step. Some people might not like to cut their cuticles, but I don’t find it a problem, just be ultra-careful as the cutters are extremely sharp.


Base Coat / OPI Nail Envy
Now after the cuticles and the nail bed looks nice and clean, I usually will put a base coat or Nail Envy just as a protection and so that the polish I eventually put on won’t stain my nails.




Cuticle Oil & Hand Lotion
I enjoy brushing OPI Avoplex Nail & Cuticle Replenishing Oil on the cuticles to keep them nicely hydrated and moisturized.

After taking care of the nails, the hands need nourishing as well. I love the OPI AvoJuice Skin Quenchers lotion as it smells divine! Currently I’m obsessed about Ginger Lily but Sweet Tea, Mango and Lavender are equally as good.

So here you are my go-to nail care routine. Writing this post is making me feel an urgent need for a nail care session now!



No comments:

Post a Comment