Monday 5 May 2014

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge


I was excited to put the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge to the test to see how well it performed and what type of coverage it provided.

After wetting the sponge and wringing out the excess water, the sponge did expand which made it softer and bouncier. It is always best to dampen sponges as a dry one just soaks too much of the product which is a huge waste.

In the official Real Techniques video, it shows that the foundation is swiped on the face with the flat part of the sponge. I tried that but I didn’t quite like the effect so I just switched to the curved part of the sponge and started a ‘bouncing’ or stippling motion instead.

As for the pointy end, it was nice that I could bring it all the way up to the corner of my eye when I’m buffing out my under eye concealer.

Using the sponge gave me a more natural looking base and even though it did help even out my skin tone, there were still some spots or old acne scars that needed extra coverage.

To be honest, I wasn’t that impressed by it as I still preferred a full coverage look. That is until I played around some more and found the perfect way to use it!

Instead of just using water to dampen the sponge, I spritz it with my MAC Fix+ and it just extends the longevity of my foundation while still giving me a flawless effect. I also noticed that the sponge dries much quicker with the Fix+ which is great as I love to use the rounded side to apply pressed powder to set my makeup.

I also use the rounded sides to buff out my bronzer and blush just to give it a more natural, diffused look. I love the sponge for its versatility.

But there is a gripe or two - one is of course the makeup will stain the sponge which is inevitable and no matter how many times you clean it, the stain may not come off (this irks me to no end as it makes the sponge look muito dirty even if it isn’tL) AND the worst thing is that cracks and holes are appearing on my sponge and I have probably used this less than 10 times! What is up with that? Was I sent a dud? Anyways, I just hope the sponge will hold up so I can enjoy it longer.
And to be honest, I am now itching to purchase the Beauty Blender just so I can test and see if there are any major differences between these two sponges… 

No comments:

Post a Comment